2BeSafe - Prevent Accidents and Be Safe


 

 

 


Prevent Accidents Helping family prevent accidents before they happen
Being Safe at Home

Is your home poisonous?

  • Know to call 1-800-872-5111 if someone takes poison.
  • Keep the number by every phone. Call 9-1-1 if someone won’t wake up, is having trouble breathing or is having seizures. If the person seems okay, but you think they may have taken poison call 1-800-872-5111.
  • Carbon monoxide (CO) is a deadly gas that you cannot see or smell. The gas collects when fuels are burned.
  • Have a service person check heaters, stoves and fireplaces every year to see that they work well.
  • Have a carbon monoxide (CO) detector near the bedrooms. This will tell you if the gas level is too high. Push the "test" button on the detector so everyone will know the sound it makes.
  • Know the things in your home that are poisons.
  • Read the labels of the products you use in your home. If the label has the words "Caution", "Warning", "Poison" or "Danger", keep out of reach of children and lock them away. Read the labels and follow directions when using these.
  • Take all medicines and medical supplies out of purses, pockets and drawers. Put them in a cabinet with a child safety lock.
  • Have child safety caps on all chemicals, medications and cleaning products.
  • Keep medicines and cleaning products in their original containers with the original labels intact.
  • Store all dangerous products away from food and drinks. Be especially aware of products with fruit shown on the labels, which could be confused as being edible.
  • Keep each family member’s medicines in a separate place, so they don’t get mixed up. Carefully measure doses and track medicine that is given or received.
  • Be safe. Throw away medicines if you don’t use them or they are old or the date has expired.
  • Do not put medicines in the sink or toilet. They can poison your water and make people and animals sick. Put the medicine in the garbage.
  • Chemicals, fuels (such as gasoline), car fluids (such as anti-freeze), pesticides (such as bug killers), and lawn and garden products (such as fertilizer) are poison. Store them where children cannot reach them; use locks on cabinets. Carbon monoxide (CO) is a deadly gas that you cannot see or smell. The gas collects when fuels are burned. Never run a motor or vehicle engine inside an attached garage, as deadly carbon monoxide can enter your home this way.
  • Use a barbecue grill outside only! Do not use it in your home or garage.

Copyright©2BeSafe 2009
Sitemap
"Site Dynamics by Rubenstein Associates"