Is your home poisonous?
- Know to call 1-800-872-5111 if someone
- Keep the number by every phone.
Call 9-1-1 if someone won’t
wake up, is having trouble breathing or is having
seizures. If the person seems okay,
but you think they may have taken poison call 1-800-872-5111.
monoxide (CO) is a deadly gas that you cannot see or smell.
The gas collects when fuels are burned.
- Have a service person check
heaters, stoves and fireplaces every year to see that they
- Have a carbon monoxide (CO) detector
near the bedrooms. This will tell you if the gas level
is too high.
Push the "test" button
on the detector so everyone will know the sound it makes.
the things in your home that are poisons.
- Read the labels
of the products you use in your home. If the label
has the words "Caution", "Warning", "Poison" or "Danger",
keep out of reach of children and lock them away. Read
the labels and follow directions when using these.
all medicines and medical supplies out of purses, pockets
and drawers. Put them in a cabinet with a child
- Have child safety caps on all chemicals,
medications and cleaning products.
- Keep medicines and cleaning
products in their original containers with the original
- Store all dangerous products
away from food and drinks. Be especially aware of products
fruit shown on the labels,
which could be confused as being edible.
- Keep each family member’s medicines
in a separate place, so they don’t
get mixed up. Carefully measure doses and track
medicine that is given or received.
- Be safe. Throw away medicines
if you don’t use
them or they are old or the date has expired.
- Do not put medicines in the
sink or toilet. They can poison your water and make
people and animals sick. Put the medicine in
- Chemicals, fuels (such as gasoline),
car fluids (such as anti-freeze), pesticides (such as bug
killers), and lawn and garden
products (such as fertilizer) are
poison. Store them where children cannot reach
them; use locks on cabinets. Carbon monoxide (CO) is a deadly
gas that you cannot see
or smell. The
gas collects when fuels are burned. Never run a motor or
vehicle engine inside an attached
garage, as deadly carbon monoxide can enter your
home this way.
- Use a barbecue grill outside only!
Do not use it in your home or garage.